Wednesday, August 02, 2006

08/02/2006 - Where do you keep the bombs?

“They seem very nice,” she replied. “Where do you keep the bombs” (page 104)?

Unscrambling the rampant paranoia of the first Red Scare is a daunting task. Since I haven’t been regular with my research and postings I have forgotten most of the information I had posted previously. Looking over it I get the feeling that this wasn’t the first time I had such feelings. What I have been looking for is a simple way to explain the attitude towards communism during and after World War I. I’ve alluded to this before with Sterrett’s fears of inflation and job security but the whole idea was still shaky, at least to me. To put it as simple as possible, Americans feared that foreigners were trying to topple their revered institutions (government, ideals, etc.). Americans weren’t completely unfounded in their distrust of communism. The above quote from Edith is referring to the events of a few days earlier. On April 28th, 1919 Seattle Mayor Ole Hanson was sent a bomb. It was defused. However, a servant of Senator Thomas Hardwick wasn’t as fortunate. She lost both hands. Later, on May 1st “thirty-four bombs were intercepted before reaching their intended targets which included, among others, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, North Carolina Senator Lee S. Overman, Utah Senator William H. King, Postmaster General Albert Berlson, and John D. Rockefeller” (Intellectual Conservative).

A quick aside on the website I cited. This was an excellent source for what I was looking for. The article was well written and easy to understand, I however don’t necessarily support some of their beliefs but a damn fine history lesson. I too did not read in what context these facts were used. So, in theory they could come from an article about how liberals are to blame for the world today, that or something about Israel but in all honesty I believe it has something to do with September 11th (I would expect nothing less).

Fitzgerald, F. Scott. “May Day”. Tales of the Jazz Age. First Pine Street Books: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2003.
Intellectual Conservative

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home